About the Role
As a boutique, we work in small teams to support incredible companies from inception to exit. We are looking to team up with an articling student that is excited to assist a company at every step of its journey; whether it be their initial incorporation, the drafting or negotiation of a complex technology agreement, or their efforts to raise capital or proceed through an M&A transaction – and most things in between.
About our Firm
Oziel Law specializes in business and technology law with an innovative edge; we use and create technology to deliver the most optimized legal solutions for clients. Our clients are start-ups and fast-growing businesses in a range of industries such as software, robotics, food science, biotech, gaming, e-sports, blockchain, and fashion/apparel. Our clients are founders and entrepreneurs - this means real people with passion and ambition.
- Prepare and file articles and corporate documentation relating to simple/complex incorporations, partnerships, organizations, amendments, and public company matters.
- Prepare and maintain corporate records, including by-laws, resolutions, registers, and ledgers using our entity management software.
- Conduct legal research, as assigned.
- Review regulations, laws, and legal articles, as required to assist with matter preparation and legal advice.
- Draft legal documents, articles, reports, and correspondence.
- Provide ongoing support to the firm’s lawyers.
Qualifications & Education
- The student should have obtained their law degree (i.e., J.D. or LL.B.) and be eligible to article by August 2023.
- Experience in a legal environment is optimal.
- The following background/experiences would be an asset:
- Working knowledge of Corporations Canada and the Ontario Business Registry; and
- Proficiency in legal software, cloud-based software (electronic signature platforms), G-Suite software (Google Docs, Gmail), and Office 365 software (OneDrive, Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- Demonstrated interest in working with startups and in corporate/technology and/or securities law.
To apply, please submit your application package (cover letter, resume, official transcripts, a writing sample, two references, and, optionally, one letter of reference) via email, addressed to Katie Meng at email@example.com by 5:00PM on Friday, April 14, 2023.